View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2018, 11:13 pm   #17
bikerhifinut
Octode

Default Re: Reservoir capacitors and ripple current.

Thats what I measured across the HT secondary with both analogue and digital meters and I assumed that was the practical DC source resistance for the simulator.
I covered the mains transformer in an associated post, I managed to alter the turns ratio on one of the heater secondaries from 9V to 6.3V for the 4 EL34 output valves.
It's a hand wound one obtained from another forum member and was originally intended in a previous life to power up a monster amp using 4 x EL34 or similar per channel so its cruising along at something less than half capacity. It's not really a question of over specifying so much as making use of what's available.
Anyway it is what it is.
The plan is to more or less stick with the original circuit which as you divined is a CLC to the output transformer CT, followed by a couple of RC filters to the phase splitter and first stage valves. It's just that now I am using silicon to rectify the HT instead of a GZ34 I can afford the luxury of a larger value reservoir capacitor over the original maximum 50uF value. The cost of a single good quality 470uF capacitor isn't very much more than a 50 or 100 uF which is where I came in with the queries. It's quite possible that sticking with 100uF as the reservoir capacitor will be more than plenty and certainly I have plenty of those rattling around in the toybox.
But there seems to be a school of thought that a big reservoir capacitor can help on occasional large transients. My initial concern was more about the time to recharge the bigger capacitor and any ill effects that may have. Then I got involved in the ripple calculation as the roughed out circuit progressed.
Ok for further info, after the first reservoir capacitor the HT will be split to left and right via a 5H choke and the output end of those will each have a capacitor to earth and that feeds each individual output transformer. I keep individual supplies from there to each stage on either side in a sort of pseudo double mono arrangement. That's because the chokes are rated at 150mA each and the amps draw 145mA each side so it's either parallel em and keep a single supply rail or split em. Probably no audible advantage but I can do it so I will.