View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2018, 2:13 pm   #3
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: Soviet 'Almaz' portable radio

Well used! I have not seen a plastic-cased radio with wear patterns like that before now.
I wish that there was a way of discovering the original retail price of the radio (in Roubles) and how much that represented of the salary of a teen-age person.

I feel that the price of the radio would have been stable. Due to the 'plan' economy of the USSR the original packaging might have been printed with the sale price. A transistor radio was a new & exciting thing, which is why I can visualise Misha as a teen-age person. The gift would not have been a minor present if all the family clubbed together to buy it.
'Misha' cherished it accordingly. There's the heavy wear pattern, but no cracks or scratches to the case.
As for what Misha might have heard... Who knows what was audible on Medium Wave or Long Wave after dark?

This example was not an 'export' radio bought in a 'Beriozka' store with a 'hard' currency.
It is not an ugly radio. It's worst flaw being the nigh invisible dial marker. I have no idea if the marker ought to have been painted white, but it flaked off.