View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2018, 4:54 pm   #2
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: The auctionj photo that gives the lie!!

I used to enjoy the listings of some sellers for the way they described their products - some very tongue-in-cheek, some outright crude but they made browsing their 'shops' a quite enjoyable experience - indeed I looked at a lot more interesting stuff than I would normally have done simply for the entertainment value!

Such selling techniques actually work - I am inclined to be very descriptive when listing my own items and often 'embellish' the wording to add some light-heartedness. I see no problem with this and it shows (I think) that the seller actually takes an interest in what they are doing.

Outright 'howlers' of listings sometimes make the media headlines - albeit way down in the priorities of course - such as inappropriate reflections and genuine 'evil' as forms of revenge!

Sadly I now find such places to be far too commercial - the ratio of true auctioneers to retail outlets is fractional (list 'all' then list 'auction only' to see a 100:1 reduction in listings in many cases). If people don't want to take in interest in what they're selling I reckon buyers don't want to take much notice either.