View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2011, 1:22 pm   #50
tubesrule
Hexode

Default Re: Simple memory card player idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
I've not used Altera, only Xilinx, but I'm sure there is a good range of development boards. Simple designs in VHDL (or Verilog if you use that) ought to compile equally on Altera or Xilinx parts. Obviously if you utilise particular design features that are unique to one or the other you will have to modify your code.

There aren't many of us here at UKVRR who have done FPGA work. Darryl and I have both used Xilinx with VHDL. I think Darryl may also have used Altera.
Just getting back from vacation and playing catch up.

I've also only quoted some projects using Altera and Lattice fpga's that would have benefited from their unique capabilities, but never implemented a design with either. For the most part, Altera and Xilinx compete head to head, and are both good choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen O View Post
tubesrule aka Darryl Hock...? Designer of the Aurora?

I am most certainly in the presence of greatness!

I looked into using a DSP to do standards conversion a while ago. The demands are high: filtering to remove the colour sub-carrier requires at least four multiply/accumulates per input pixel. And then the line interpolation will require three multiply/accumulates per output pixel.

It would be quite a DSP to handle that. Your use of an FPGA is almost certainly the better way to go. And of course, those chips that convert analogue video to a standard byte stream deal with the sub-carrier.

In other words, I don't see a better way of doing it!
Since you are versed in DSP programming Karen, vhdl/fpga design would be very familiar to you. This project might be a good excuse for you to get started in vhdl with one of the Xilinx kits

Since all my converters accept standard NTSC/PAL/SECAM inputs, it is much easier to just use an off the shelf video decoder like the TI TVP5150. These parts have excellent chroma filters and provide a simple interleaved Y/C output bus, so you can just ignore the chroma data if desired. The fpga then just does the size and rate conversion, and formats for the output standard.

Darryl