View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2018, 2:06 pm   #1
rontech
Heptode

Default EMI Stereosonic Tape Player "DR Dutton"

I wonder if anybody has information on a high quality Tape replay system made by EMI in the 1957 1960 period. When I started work in 1957 the Company had a science and arts club and at an early meeting 1957/58 ish there was a demonstration by two scientists from EMI of their "StereoSonic" pre recorded tapes. If my memory is right one gent was a Dr Dutton and maybe the other a Mr Theobald ( (Bit hazy this! ) Anyway the playback system consisted of two separate, matching, nicely veneered radiogram style and size cabinets. One contained a professional looking EMI tape player ( No recording facility) Also what was described as an 18Watt amplifier plus a loudspeaker system. The second cabinet contained the RH channel amplifier and speaker.

They gave a talk on EMI's co-incident microphone system followed by a demonstration of some of their repertoire. It was extremely impressive compared to anything I had previously heard!

EMI marketed StereoSonic tapes in the period 1958 to about 1963 to the best of my knowledge. I never saw any ads for the EMI player system though.

If you have access to EMI Stereo demonstration record SDD1 it contains much of the material used at the above demonstration. I have seen these discs for sale on ebay etc recently.

If anyone has knowledge of the EMI player system used or about the mysterious Dutton and Theobald. I would be grateful to learn.