View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2018, 3:20 am   #3
Stevie342000
Hexode

Default Re: Avo Universal Measuring Bridge Type 1

It is the later one in the tin can, duly noted about cleaning method. I will of course have a better idea of what you are saying when the item is sat in front of me, just trying to get ahead of the game.

I have a 20 plus odd page copy of the manual, I assume that there are no more pages than that? I assume you posted it on here or you got the same copy? Mine came off this site slightly undersized scan so does not print to margins on A4 not without a lot of messing about that is.

I am just taken it as a given that I should replace all electrolytic and the paper in oil capacitors but none of the standard resistors or capacitors.

I got lucky I suppose this one I am about to get is in spotless condition from the outside both the panel and the container. I know they do not come up that often have been looking for one for a while and just like I said got lucky it was relatively cheap as well about £50 all in.

Given that it was military grade and made to pretty much the same standard as BBC test equipment there is not much to go wrong and it is relatively easy to fix.

The hard to get components will be the meter and bridge balance resistors I would assume.

I assume you are familiar with this equipment and its repair? Are there any known issues I suppose is what I have been trying to find out?

I has been suggested in another thread that it is not very accurate when you compare a resistor measured on Digital LCR and when it is measure on the Avo Universal Measuring Bridge.

The parameters are not the same its like comparing chalk and cheese. However it is testing the components are more real world scenarios that is the conclusion I have drawn from what was said on that thread.

I got this kit so I could (possibly) match components to circuit value to a high tolerance from channel to channel, but the real reason was so I can do leakage tests to determine which capacitors in which bits of equipment I have awaiting repair need replacing. Plus it does a fair job of explaining in the manual how to make in circuit tests as well and as I have found out it is relatively easy and quick to use (having read the manual).

Last edited by Stevie342000; 11th Mar 2018 at 3:25 am. Reason: slight addition