View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2020, 8:21 pm   #21
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Solartron CD 1400 Oscilloscope Refurbishment

Have completed checking all the wiring connections to Board 3. Some of the connections go to Board 2 which like Board 3 has some differences to what is shown in the manual.

My Board 2 number is 14009002, manual shows 14009102.

Mystery of why the second # 14 tag (on lower section of Board 3) did not connect to earth. The black wire on it connects to Board 2 tag 14. The tag at Board 2 end has 3 black wires plus there is another tag next to it, also with 3 black wires (this second tag is not shown in the Board 2 layout drawing). This second tag connects to the first tag via the board artwork.

Disconnecting all the black wires and buzzing them out showed that all were connected to earth and when all refitted the lower 14 tag at Board 3 then was showing an earth connection. Not sure what was going on, but some sort of bad connection, this is good because before with no earth at the second 14 tag meant that 3 components were not connected to earth which did not make any sense.

The connection to tag 15 on Board 3 is still a little bit of a mystery to me. It is a red/blue wire that connects to Board 2 tag 19, tag 19 in the manual is hatched out to reflect that only used on early models. On Board 2 tag 19 connects to resistor R108 (hashed out in manual & listed as not used). It is listed as 390 ohm 2 watt in the manual and a 390 ohm wire wound is fitted.

At the same end of the junction of tag 19 and R108, electrolytic C109 is connected, C109 is shown hatched out and listed as "Not Used" / "200uF 275 volt" in the manual. R108 and C109 are not shown in the schematics I have.

The other side of R108 connects to tag 15 (shown hatched out in manual), tag 15 connects via a blue wire to tag 19 on Board 2, from here tag 19 connects to the main transformer secondary winding tap # 11 which is one side of the 155 volt winding, there are also 2 electrolytics connected to tag 19, C201 & C202.

So one side of the 155 volt winding goes through R108 on Board 1 then through R304 on Board 3 to connect to the common ends of the Set BA, Set IPS & the Astig pots, does not make much sense at the moment this connection.

Still waiting for a new replacement for failed C304, so next (before reconnecting Board 3) I will power the chassis up (no plug in modules fitted) and check out all the various mains transformer secondary outputs & the various DC voltage at Boards 1 & 2 and see what sort of voltage is arriving at tag 15 of Board 3.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 1st Jul 2020 at 8:28 pm. Reason: Update