Old 24th Jun 2020, 12:37 pm   #11
Sparks
Heptode

Default Re: 'Shopper's World' catalogue telephones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
I can remember seeing only two old-style plug and socket installations, one for an answering machine and one for a B&B to allow a guest to use the phone. I think very few people had them, and it's unlikely there was much of a mass market for replacement phones.
A bit of an aside...

If you go through all the N diagrams, you discover that the wiring of the Jack 95A (the socket that takes the Plug 420) was not exactly standardised. The wiring for an answering machine was different to that for a telephone, etc...

I made up a little unit with the a Jack 95A and a Jack 96A (the 5 contact one used for Prestel, and some Special Range telephones) wired to a bank of thumbwheel switches. I can use those to connect the sockets to a 'line' (actually from a line simulator or tester, it doesn't go to the public network), ringing capacitor, etc. With the right settings I can essentially set it up to handle any of the wiring shown in the N diagrams...
Clever stuff. I'd probably cause a telephone exchange to blow up if I tried that, even without a connection to the PSTN!