View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 10:33 pm   #1
SeanMcK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Two general AVO 8 questions

1) Is there a suggested replacement for the red 'rubber' gaiters that go around the cut out and reverse button stalks of the post Mk4 Avo8's?
I have the idea of using slivers of thin 'stiff' plastic in combination with a thin thread wrapped around the outside of those slivers to act as 'piston ring compressor' to guide the deformed gaiter into the underside of the buttons and then letting the assembly sit, compressed' for a month or so.
Has anyone tried anything like this?
The idea being that this could be an in situ fix rather than removing the movement etc. to get to the buttons.
In truth I doubt either method will work since I doubt the rubber will 'unstretch' but, given that I presume these gaiters are unavailable, needs must.

2) Has anyone got a trick for removing the rear Bakelite case of a Panclimatic etc. from its metal surround?
The battery lid screws have been removed as have the nuts from the screws hidden under the instruction plate that pass through the bottom of the Bakelite case, so, as far as I am aware, there are now no mechanical fasteners holding the rear case in the metal outer but the Bakelite case WILL NOT budge.