View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2020, 10:37 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: 1950's/1960's music recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
I don't know whether 'direct to disc' ever went away completely but the technique was in use in, for example, 1975. That was the year that Thelma Houston's I've Got The Music In Me album was recorded https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ve...c_in_Me_(album). As I understand it the musicians were gathered together and mic'd up as appropriate. They rehearsed and the engineers at the mixing desk adjusted their controls until everyone was happy. Then the output of the desk was connected direct to a cutting lathe and the musicians were given the go-ahead. No tape. They played and sang and the result was cut straight into the master disc. They got just one go at it.
I also have that disc as well as other 'direct to disc' recordings but the OP asks if a CD might be made from copying vinyl. There are a quite a few CD's made that way where no master tape exists. Back in the 60's I was asked to make a 'master tape' from several 45's sent over from America by the record company for release in the UK on a different label. They no longer had any master tapes of the tracks.