View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2011, 11:24 pm   #129
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Simple memory card player idea

Hi Karen,

Bear with me, I'll look into it. If FFmpeg won't do it, I'm convinced I'll be able to find something that will. (My general impression of using Linux for some years is that if I think something should be possible, it probably is. How to achieve it is another matter entirely...)

Given your comments about your DAC, I'm now inspired to try something similar. I've had a few ideas for adding technically correct sync to the 405-line output from the Linux system. It'd be nice to get a test pattern if the computer's video input is missing or running at the wrong line/frame rate. Plus with no input it'd make a handy little box with a test card in it. Video DACs seem to be various combinations of spendy, surface-mount and over-specified for 405-line video.

Oh, here might be as good a place to ask as any; I haven't played with PICs at all but reckon I should. I've now got a (cheap) parallel-port programmer (which I'm currently reverse-engineering, as one does) which will program some of them. So I'm running out of excuses and really should stop using either a Z80 or a board full of CMOS for everything!

Do you happen to know if a PIC would object unduly if its clock were externally-generated from an oscillator locked to, say, the field-sync of an incoming video signal? I'm assuming that it might be a problem if the clock jumped when the PLL locks/unlocks, but if it drifted a bit more slowly in and out of lock it ought to be okay.

Is this the point where I inspire you add genlock capability to your player so it can be synchronised with another video signal..?

Kat