View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2018, 10:30 am   #18
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Vintage French Doorbell - Surely not 220V AC working!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
It would have been a brave person who would have connected a foreign bell to the telephone network pre-deregulation
Not foreign bells but thee were a lot of bells - complete with phones - that were connected to the UK network in the 60s! I was surprised by the number of homes I visited where I heard the tell-tale bell tinkle as someone dialled out on the upstairs extension!

So, a two wire connection with both bells in parallel instead of series and no bell tinkle suppression!

I must admit, though, that in the mid 70s, when I once tried to phone my wife one evening to warn her that I would be late (no trains) and didn't get an answer it was because she'd been bathing our baby daughter in the bathroom towards the rear of the house and hadn't heard the phone.

As a result, she demanded an extension bell in the kitchen. I agreed - on condition that it came complete with a dial and handset! I had a wall mounted phone I'd acquired which fitted neatly above the kitchen worktop - but I made sure that this was wired correctly withe bells in series and, of course, bell tinkle suppression!