View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2017, 1:35 pm   #54
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Electrolytic capacitor fails after 1 hour in service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
....which are in a different package (DO35) than ordered and certified (DO7). .
Often a clue to a fake is a non standard or different package.
I agree - but in this case I reckon the diodes are genuine. The manufacturer (Microsemi) used to make them in DO7 (glass package, internally soldered)and in DO35 (smaller glass package, brazed construction). They differentiated with a part number suffix. They changed the location of manufacture to a facility which had DO35 capability but not DO7, 10+ years ago. At the time, they sent out a circular informing the world of this (which I now have).

Unfortunately, someone made a blunder on the Web site, indicating the DO35 suffix as obsolete, and DO7 as current. To most users it is immaterial, probably why the error was never picked up. To us and our customer, it is important. I caught it and queried it. Unfortunately the error crept as far as the Certificate of Conformance we received, which indicates that even genuine parts from a genuine manufacturer can be misrepresented.

Microsemi have confirmed from a photo I sent, that the diodes, sold as DO7, are DO35 - and although they have not yet received a return, they haven't shouted that they are bogus. But they're amending their on-line data.

So Al's capacitor - he's doing all of us a favour by alerting the manufacturer.