View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 9:53 am   #30
TimMills
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Looking for help please with 1964 Trio W-41 stereo valve amp

Many thanks Nick!
That is a lot of great info.
The story behind this amp is that a local engineer did take it into his workshop Feb 2017. Where it sat collecting dust until October. I reminded him a few times I was waiting to see it working and eventually he got it back to me about 2 weeks ago with 4 new caps and 4 resistors... I've not yet worked out what caps they relate to on the schematic but they bridge the EL84s with the 3 ECC83 that aren't the preamp valves, you can see them in my picture with green legs. The 4 resistors should have been 2 but he decided to put two in series instead of one and I'm replacing them as soon as replacements come. I'm replacing the set of 4 across pin 2 and the centre post of each EL84 sockets. He's a nice guy and he's fixed amps for friends for a few years. He's just terribly slow at communication (almost non existent) and I'm reluctant to return it to him as I fear I may not see it again for months. He also told me I needed to buy an external phono preamp when I questioned why it wasn't working... I did . I spent £300 on one... and now I realise he was wrong.

If you have any way of letting me know where I find those caps you list in the tangle of workings I'd love to see... like I mentioned my major issue is relating the schematic to the physical thing!
I'm also unsure where the 4x 40u 350v caps coming of hum balance on schematic are in real terms, as I can only find one at present... someone has done some work in it between 1964 and 2017 and the large blue DALY cap is marked 32u 350v and I think they've swapped that in... should I replace for 40u? will it make a difference? top left the large grey one is obvious to find but the other 2 escape me.
must dash...
thanks everyone...
Yes Peter I will do that once new Rs and Cs are in!
Tim