View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 10:23 pm   #6
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: PCB Artwork transfer

I'm a little baffled why many methods of pcb artwork transfer still exist when the iron on film works so well. I can whip up a pcb in less than 40 minutes once I have the artwork drawn, just print it to the film on my small monochrome laser printer, iron on and etch in ferric chloride and drill, bingo its done.

The film is American made comes from NJ, its supplied by Jaycar part HG9980. In fact I just did one last night , photos attached. When there are very large filled in areas, occasionally it needs a touch over with a pen in the odd place, but not very often.

To do the artwork I merely use a vintage drawing program (Microsoft Picture It) and draw it over a scan of a 2.54mm grid of dots and print it out "exact size".

One of the main tricks is to have the blank pcb larger so the iron on artwork is not near the edges, then cut the pcb to its perimeter size after the etch. The other is to attach the film prior to ironing to the pcb with polyamide tape so it cannot move around during ironing.

I just use our clothing iron, dead easy. I thought everyone else was doing it this way now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pcb1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	194771   Click image for larger version

Name:	pcb2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	194772   Click image for larger version

Name:	pcb3.jpg
Views:	220