View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2012, 11:57 pm   #11
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Ever Ready Motor Batteries

I remember seeing those Motor Batteries in the 1970s. I guess they were a marketing ploy. There was indeed a specific Clock Battery. It was called Size C11 - For Transistor Clocks. C11 was the same size as SP11 / HP11 (or a modern R14 or C cell) but I think it was gold and blue - it's been decades since I've seen one. My parents bought a transistor clock in the late 1970s which had one of those C11 batteries. Its movement had two coils, a battery, a transistor and a magnetic balance wheel. As the balance wheel moved, the magnet induced a voltage in one of the coils which turned on the transistor. This let current flow from the battery through the other coil, generating an opposing magnetic field that repelled the wheel, thus giving it a push and keeping it going. My parents still have the clock hanging on their dining room wall, but sadly the original movement was replaced with an ordinary quartz one many years ago.
In the 1980s Ever-Ready was taken over by Hanson who discontinued a lot of the special batteries; presumably they were not profitable enough.