View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2021, 8:25 am   #1
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Pye 834 Flywheel Stuck

Morning all. Yesterday I started work on a newly acquired Pye 834. While it is described as a push-button set there is, as expected, a manual tuning facility that I want to get working. As you can see from the pics, the tuning flywheel is made of a Mazak or “monkey metal” alloy casting that has blown (swelled up and split) such that it is jammed against the cross-bracket through which the spindle passes. Even after removing the spring nut from the inner end of the spindle, I can’t get the spindle out. I managed to disconnect and remove the entire tuning capacitor with the flywheel still attached; it comes out as one unit. Plan B is to file down the front edge of the flywheel casting until it is thin enough to run freely, but easier said than done as the metal is tough and is resisting a coarse file. Has anybody come across a similar problem and solved it? Any bright ideas welcome. This set is well worth restoring because it is complete and other than caps replacement and dead rectifier everything else looks good. It sports a PenB4 AF pentode which should produce a beefy sound. Cheers, Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080283.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	232024   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080282.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	232025   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080284.jpg
Views:	149