View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2017, 11:45 pm   #53
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

Good evening,
It's a poor state of affairs when you have to do a search for your own thread because you haven't posted in it for so long I see that my last update was over a month ago so you would think that during that time, major progress would have been made !! Well it has moved forward, but slowly. Somehow, there always seems to be more distractions during the summer with the light evenings- sitting at a workbench is more of a winter thing!

1) The IF & signals PCB has now been refurbished. I removed the valve holders and IF cans so that the gunge could be cleaned off underneath them. Inside the cans everything was in good order and the cans themselves cleaned up pretty well. All the resistors were checked and about a third were replaced. Strangely, there are several 1meg, 2.2meg & 10 meg which I expected to be very high in value but they were all a good 10 percent low!
All caps above 1000pf were replaced and the board generally given a good clean and tidy up.

2) The LOPT has had a thorough clean and has come up very well. It's a good sensible construction and is well made. The attached valve holder for the EHT rectifier now looks brand new although the U26 has traces of whiteness inside due to the corrosion on it's pins allowing air into it.
I have been experimenting with testing LOPT's (see 'Testing 405 line LOPT 'thread) and it seems that this transformer is probably functional. What happens when it has to withstand 16KV is quite another matter so we will have to wait and see!

3)The IF pcb is now back on the chassis and many more interconnecting wires have been re connected.

4) All the preset slider controls were open circuit and most of the other controls were not well. Many thanks to Ed for sending a whole pile of replacements so I should now have enough bits to sort that side of things out.

5) I've cleaned up the scancoils which also seem to be in good condition.

I am nearly at the point when the chassis can be re attached to the CRT so that should be fun.
I'll try and sort out some pictures soon.
Cheers Nick