View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2017, 9:12 am   #52
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

Thank you for your encouraging comments
As far as I know, Pastyboy (who I got the set from), had already given the the CRT a 'tickle' on his reactivator to wake it up. When I tested it on my B&K tester, the emission seemed pretty good and there were no shorts apparent, so it will be fingers crossed that it will produce a reasonable picture. If it comes to the worst, it has already been hinted that someone has a spare tube so some arm twisting may be involved
The LOPT is actually more of a worry as rewinding is the only real option, and that is quite costly (Rightly so, due to the amount of work involved). I've not cleaned it up yet, but on the face of it it looks in good order- it has a good coating of wax which hasn't melted. I will try Fernseh's method of passing a current through it for a while to dry it out, but even if it works initially,who knows how long it will last!
Under that rusty screening can and the mud, the core of the tuner was actually in pretty good order. The front face, where the spindle goes in, was rusty. This was carefully sandblasted and treated as per the rest of the chassis. John kindly sent me a screening can (which covers most of the unit) which just needed a clean with some wet and dry to make it like new. The biggest problem was trying to tone down the shine after I had cleaned it- It looked a bit 'bling'!!
The valve screening cans also cleaned up well and I am pretty pleased with the end result.
So I really must be diligent and apply myself to the chassis over the next few evenings- I really don't have any excuse, although beer often seems to get in the way
Cheers Nick