View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2014, 5:42 pm   #4
Eddystone
Triode

Default Re: Murphy A104, some comments

Sorry to reopen this old thread, but for reference I have just acquired this Murphy A104 from Merlinmaxwell (many thanks)!

The standard of the cabinet finish really is a credit to him and, though I have not opened the back yet, I can only imagine a similarly meticulous electrical restoration, since it performs well on all bands with only a couple of metres of wire as an antenna. Quiet controls too, and the shortwave projection system together with fine tune pointer works really well.

The "baffle board" design really does produce a very different sound to traditional "echoing box" style valve wireless, quite "open" and modern sounding, if perhaps not completely to the liking of the out and out nostalgic...

Personally think the cabinet design of these sets is lovely, and my wife likes it too which is always the acid test. Surprising reaction from my mother in law, who literally burst into tears when she saw it - said it was identical to a set which her father bought when she was a young child, replacing an earlier Sobell set which was in the workshop more often than it was working. Not sure her recollection was quite accurate, since the A104 is actually a couple of years older than her, though concievably he bought it second hand.

Completely at a loss why these sets do not seem to be more sought after/talked about. Would be interested to hear from other owners.

Attached first (and I'm afraid rather poor) photo of the A104 in its new surroundings. Appologies for the lighthouse, which will be finding a new home shortly! Given a few days, should be able to provide some better pics if anyone needs them for reference.

Regards, Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-07 19.00.59+.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	98570