View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2017, 4:30 pm   #17
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Garrard TA/Mark II (4SP) fitted with Chinese Cartridge

AFAIK, the two channels are wired in phase, the volume level is cerainly more than adequate, whilst the sound quality is very good for a record player of this type. What I did was parallel the negative connection in the headshell, then bridge the positive ones under the deck by connecting a short length of wire between the Volume control and the stereo o/p socket. This is easily reversible if or when a suitable similar amplifier is obtained to use as the other channel, but this is highly unlikely. As a matter of interst, if the two channels of the pickup were wired in series, making sure the phasing was correct of course, would that produce a higher o/p. The source impedance would presumably be doubled, so in theory, so would the cartridges o/p voltage, though the higher Z might not be such agood match to that amplifier's i/p. Anyway whenever I've fitted a stereo cartridge in place of a mono one I've wired the two channels in parallel, which usually works well, so I'll leave it at that!