View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 2:20 pm   #1
AnGSB8s
Diode

Default Steepletone 5002D Speaker Wiring

Hi
I am new to UK Vintage Radio website.
I read with avid interest the May 2020 Thread entitled 'Steepletone 5002D' started by member AlanMK71 with speakers containing Disco lights!
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=167180
Thread now closed or I would have continued my Thread there...

I am currently trying to get the identical record player Steepletone 5002D working - I haven't posted any photos - those in aforementioned Post are the same as mine (albeit AlanMK71's had a dodgy fuse!).
Everything seems in order and with a reasonable stylus (perhaps the original) installed I can hear the sonic reproduction direct from the stylus (at a low volume of course!)

Alas I have not got the correct speakers!

The rear of unit has three x 5-pin female connectors.

One is labeled 'stereo' and I assume is a speaker? DIN connection point which is wired to the Main PCB and uses all 5 pins, with Pins 1 & 3 BRIDGED as a pair at rear of connector, and Pins 4 & 5 BRIDGED also as a pair at rear of connector.
Pin2 Ground is also BRIDGED to DIN outer casing Shield.
Both feeds from Main PCB to Pins1/3 and Pins4/5 are resistored by gold/yellow/blue/green banded resistor.
This looked a little complicated so I have not tried using this as a speaker output.

The other two DINS, I guess by their labeling, are 'Left 8 Ohm' and 'Right 8 Ohm' channels. Perhaps these are mono channels, as: -
Pin1 LHS is wired to Pin1 RHS,
Pin2 LHS is wired to Pin2 RHS,
Pin3 LHS is wired to Pin3 RHS,
Pins 4 & 5 have no connection.

I noted Member Ben's comment "edit: just seen post 6, which confirms what I mentioned earlier. Just don't try connecting other speakers to it!"

I therefore held back from wiring up a standard set of 8 Ohm speakers for fear of damaging them - potentially a risk if the light feed to the original speakers causes standard speakers to blow.

I have checked the voltages (relative to Pin2 Ground): -
Pin1's = 16v DC
Pin3's = 0.02v DC (on occasion)
Altering the volume slider controls made no alteration to voltage measured.

As a test, I could try some 8 ohm 10W speakers from a broken TV, but thought I would ask if anyone would know the right way to wire up such a speaker set up, in case I damage the Steepletone unit, as well as the speakers? I would have thought using Pin1's is a no-no at 16V

Last edited by AnGSB8s; 23rd Feb 2021 at 2:36 pm. Reason: typo