View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2021, 10:12 am   #1
Mooly
Octode

Default Switched Plug failure

Split from this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=176727

Well... and you couldn't make this up... despite berating the time readout on the Hotpoint it might actually be a little smarter than I thought.

Switched on today at 6.45AM and it said 2hr 44min remaining. I thought I would keep a watch and so imagine my surprise when at at 8:20 or so I looked and it was all dark and unlit. That was quick... erm no. The top of the washer was quite hot and it shouldn't have been after a few cold spins. It was dead. No power dead.

This is going off topic now but I'm afraid to say yet more 'junk' own brand product from CPC. It is fitted with a switched illuminated mains plug that should have a super easy life because it never ever switches any significant current. Just the standby current when turning on and same again when turning off when all done.

The switch clicked on perfectly this morning but now it is stuck in a half way position with no click action. Contacts have overheated I assume and melted the plastic switch internals. Much of what I seem get from CPC that is 'own brand' such as Pro-Elec gives grief and I now actively refuse to buy these products.

(The 'lamp' referenced below is a reading lamp that was absolutely dire in its construction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
So much of the Pro Elec and similar own brand product from CPC has caused me to seriously question the quality. As well as the lamp I had a very small oil filled radiator (those 600w mini types) that developed a leak in of all places the very top of the appliance. It started to feel slippery and examination showed a small pinhole type defect in the metal.

Another 'own brand' oil filled from CPC expired by developing some internal leakage/short and tripping the main RCB in the consumer unit. I've even had issues with 'own brand' LED lamps.

Even tins of foam cleaner don't work correctly, more squirts out from under the white nozzle cap than through the nozzles hole.
Rant over... sorry.

Oh yes, forgot what I was going to say. The washer isn't so dumb after all. Despite no mains and despite me turning its controls to and fro initially and opening the lid, and despite it now being repowered it seems to have picked up where it left off. Now showing 2hr 12m remaining and gently agitating away. Mains lead is getting slightly warm so its heating as well.