View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 7:13 am   #48
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Workshop: LED replacements for flourescent tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
.....was the CFL. These seem to have disappeared out of existence and I've not seen any for sale anywhere. I never liked CFLs anyway, I always thought the colour rendition felt unnatural.
It is a good thing that LED lighting has come along to save us all from the curse of the CFL.

The problem is the spectrum of light out of the CFL , due to the excited phosphors and wavelengths, is nowhere near as good as an incandescent with a broad gaussian distribution of wavelengths.

I have had many patients struggle more seeing under CFL lighting when they are affected by macula degeneration, as there is less stimulation of the remaining retinal color cones.

Yet our politicians had the incandescent lamps banned in favor of CFL's. Odd in that the chemicals which comprise a tungstan lamp are relatively non toxic and the lamp is cheap, long lasting and the materials recyclable.

The standard lamp is still used as a metaphor for a bright idea : and so it should be. (this better not be a CFL.. it can't be its switching on and off too fast).

Well at least the Halogen lamp is still available.

One fellow I know who is a photographer, with a good eye for color, summed it up beautifully with this remark:

"The quality of light out of a CFL lamp is very unflattering to human skin tones and has the lighting ambiance of a public toilet"

Then we are told dead CFL's are toxic, so don't put them out in the rubbish.

Do we want CFL's in our homes ? I don't think so. Obviously LEDs are superior to CFLs and one day , ignoring energy issues and just focusing on light quality, LED lamps may even be as good as the outlawed tungstan lamp.

Curiously, for decorative lighting, the carbon filament lamp has made a huge comeback. These lamps can last many decades. The "centennial lamp" in a USA firehouse burned for over 100 years, it may still be working.