View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 11:26 am   #1
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Philips N1700 problem.

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with the Philips N1700 vcrs at all? I got hold of one a few weeks ago and after changing the belts I found that when I press the power button, the video hesd spins as it should but the capstan motor briefly spins for a second then nothing. When the head returns to its unlaced position the capstan motor briefly spins for a second again.

Also the green power light and cassette compartment bulb are quite dim, so I'm guessing the power supply isn't working properly?

Is this a known fault with these machines?

The video head is fine as I've tested it in my working vcr.

Also of note is that this VCR has been modified to record and playback at a slower speed, and has an extra clock display mounted on the lid of the VCR for extra timer recordings. It also has a remote control board and sensor fitted under the main flip up board on the right hand side for a pause and frame advance facility! Very odd! The modification instructions are with it and say that to play or record in normal speed the number 8 button on the tuner has to be pressed.

I can take a photo of the modification instructions sheet and post it on here if anyone is curious.

Many thanks,
Rich.