View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2017, 10:53 pm   #40
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

Hi Oliver,
Thanks for your comments. I used heatshrink to disguise the caps as per the following: (nicked from one of my posts on another thread!)
I used black thin walled heat shrink to tone mine down a bit! Black the ends in first with a permanent marker, leave about 2mm overhang of heatshrink at each end and then use a hot air gun to gently shrink the tube. The overhang folds itself over the end of the cap quite neatly. The heat shrink needs to be thin walled, non adhesive type and be a fairly good fit before being shrunk.
I had to experiment a bit to get it right, but the end result at first glance looks remarkably similar to a Hunts cap!
I also tried painting a couple with satin black aerosol which worked ok but seemed more fiddly.
The original Hunts caps had their leads sleeved with yellow sleeving. After a bit of a search, I found a bit of 1sq mm triple and earth flat lighting cable in the old (proper) colours of red, yellow, blue. The yellow was just the right size and looked the part.
Thanks for the link, Steve. I have been trying to come up with an elegant solution for mounting the three new caps in my can. I was hoping to avoid kebab sticks and cable ties although that's a perfectly effective way of doing it!
I will hopefully get some time over the next few days to tackle the IF pcb and tuner.
Cheers Nick