View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2017, 11:55 pm   #23
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
How about 110v 25 watt bulb as a pilot lamp or even atop as a standard lamp?

Adventurous restoration Captain! Beat welding trumpets in 1100s.
Nice idea, Sam! Maybe I could fit a couple of 15W orange pigmy lamps like they used to in '50's fan heaters to simulate the glow of a 'real' fire
Strangely enough, I am fitting a new inner wing and trumpet to my Morris 1300 at the moment- I just love rust

Thank you, Fernseh, for your resistor suggestion. However, I would like to get as close to the original arrangement as possible, so if you find a suitable mains dropper, I would be very grateful.
One particularly inspiring thing about this 'basket case' rebuild, is that it is forcing me to go to a level which I have never attained before. I have only repaired things to make them functional before by doing the minimum of work to them.
This project is different and is all about personal satisfaction. My aim (as with the 1100 restorations) is to end up with a TV which looks as standard as possible given the constraints of using some modern components where necessary. Where one draws the line is difficult, and everyone has a different idea. Some people go to immense efforts to re-create TCC wax capacitors and re- stuff electrolytics and I admire their efforts, but I feel that is a bridge too far for me. I do, however, want to use components which are at least similar to the originals- so blue resistors with 5 band colour codes and radial electrolytics would give me no pleasure. If the main smoothing can is past reforming, would I re-stuff it? Well, I can't guarantee that I wouldn't.. oh dear- its a slippery slope!!
Thank you, Oliver for your comments: I am glad you are finding the thread interesting and I will post updates when there is progress to report. I am following your cabinet restoration with interest and gathering ideas for the Pilot's sorry case!!
Cheers Nick