View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2019, 5:46 pm   #1
G8vsjDave
Pentode

Default Hitachi Model P-27FM

Hi all. I’m a retired electronic engineer with a long term interest in anything related to television. I worked in the TV development labs at Rank Bush Murphy for a few years back in the early seventies before going into industrial electronics and later, systems. I have been following this forum for some time while looking for an old television to have a go at renovating it. I have renovated a few old transistor radios, but they were largely cosmetic.
While I was on holiday this year, my daughter phoned to tell me she had found an old television that had been in someone’s attic for the last thirty years. Her next statement floored me - “it works, they plugged it in”. I really MUST have a word with my daughter.
On my return from holiday I was presented with a Hitachi Model P-27FM that looked in sorry state. The case cleaned up quite nicely, albeit a bit yellow, and today I switched it on for the first time.
There was no rustling of EHT, but after a few seconds a noisy raster appeared, I didn’t have an aerial, but I turned the tuning dial and much to my surprise I had a very noisy picture of my front gate from my security camera which I don’t understand at all. I can only think it is being radiated somehow from the recorder which is nearby. The other odd thing is that this ‘front gate’ signal does not seem to be picked up from the aerial socket – It’s there over most of the tuning range, and it doesn’t make any difference if I connect an aerial or not. I then connected a Freeview box and attempted to tune to it without success.
I don’t think the tuner is working properly because I can’t find any sign of the Freeview box. The tuning voltage pin is changing as I adjust the tuning, and the V+ supply to the tuner is only about 10.4 volts. I assume it should be 12 volts. Oh yes, the speaker is open circuit.
Could I please ask if anyone could post a circuit diagram or give me a link to one.
Thanks for your time in reading this.
Dave