Thread: Aspect ratio
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 4:33 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Aspect ratio

I'm wondering if the X Box is the problem? I don't have anything to do with them but I presume that's the video source? Although we have a couple of FS jobs here in Bexhill, I've two 4x3's in my workshop, two in bedrooms and one in the kitchen all with a FV Box source [via a VCR-working or not!]. The aspect ratio can be set via the boxes-no problem. There are members who sometimes obsess about AR correctness to the nth degree but I'm probably a lot less critical than that. I know that some people recommend Play Station Modulators [as well as VCR's] to get a signal into "scart free" sets but you seem to have both in a Daisy Chain unless I'm totally confused

A long time ago, in another arm of the Galaxy, they used to show the occasional 16:9 film to remind us of what we were missing! One Xmas Day it was 2001 A Space Odyssey but with the top and bottom filled in with tinsel. They'd had complaints from a few people who wanted a percentage of the license money back re being "cheated" of the top and bottom of the screen. That was nothing to the uproar the Beeb then faced. Many people were looking forward to seeing Space Odyssey that night. Even a "Christmas" film would be hard to view with such a shiny distraction.

I was always delighted with the odd WS epic broadcast and I even put white markers on my 21" Matsui set to remind me of the cinema proportions. They're still there, in Rammy, to this day. Its a secondary set now but showing 16:9 via FV or sometimes 4:3 [for old times sake!]

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Feb 2019 at 4:39 pm.