View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2019, 5:27 pm   #34
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: "Burning - in" Double Triodes

Right enough, Bazz, like myself, likes to keenly delve into the pure DC characteristics of many valves. His 163, like my DC tester, came jolly close to Martin's super duper RoeTest . Trouble is, we, like most folk in the vintage radio fraternity, power our test eq. with domestic mains. Also, much of Forum folk's T/Eq. is 2nd hand, and maybe clocking-on in years. Hence it would be difficult to determine the extent of any burning-in efforts.
Such advanced accuracy might be attained at the NPL, or at Agilent's HQ, etc. But, I doubt that in these digital electronics 21 century days that any professional electronics experts give a toss about analogue valve technology.
As I said earlier, it was '66 when I first became involved with RAF T/Eq. repair. I don't remember being told at the time, but maybe the replacement new CV valves we used had been initially been "burnt-in" by Mullard or whoever. Or were burnt-in at RAF Henlow which was the premier T/Eq. MU. There is a perception that CV valves are of a better quality anyway than shop-bought civilian ones. Who knows.
I just worry that "burning-in" becomes an audiophoolery fad, or a ploy by internet valve mercenary wheeler-dealers to enhance their sales pitch.

Regards, David