View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2019, 9:45 am   #43
Test Desk
Tetrode

Default Re: Back To The future with a C90

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanworland View Post
A few weeks ago I recommissioned my Sony TCK-81, my 3 head twin capstan deck with adjustable bias controls from the early 80's works as good as new after de gumming some old grease in the transport mechanism and the belts are fine.
Looking forward to listening to the dozens of tapes I have when I recorded top of the pops on a Sunday with Alan Freeman!

Alan
A man after my own heart but I think I must be older as my recordings of TOTP were made on a Fidelity reel to reel and I still have it in working order without any maintenance other than removing the recording level valve (anyone remember those?) which failed and caused hum ( I think?) but having no idea how to repair it, found the recorder worked well without it as long as I was careful not to overload the phono input.
For me, the biggest inconvenience of cassette tapes was finding the next track and having to listen to the Chipmunks to find it. I don't know how the digital generation will cope without instant track access. I have a Roberts mains/battery cassettes machine I bought about ten years ago but not much used. I might get bit out and play the cassettes I inherited from my dearly departed mother, who loved all music in all formats but never heard mp3.