View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2019, 12:34 am   #28
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Post Re: Trio Lafayette KT-320 Question

I don't think I can now add anything further to this thread which may be of interest or helpful. However, here's a final post from me by way of an 'exit'.

I've owned two of these sets: now, do not own either.

The first one was bought second-hand in 1968. (Previous user had owned it for one year). It was factory built, and at the time - being a novice SWL etc. - I was initially quite happy with it. A couple of years later I became aware of some of its short-comings, so I replaced it with something else.

The second one I acquired cheaply during 2000 as a 'needs a full restoration' project. It had been substantially 'got at', including the removal of the entire BFO sub-ass'y. It went on to the 'round-to-it' shelf for a few years and was eventually passed on to someone else. To be quite candid, I felt that the work required to restore it fully would not be worth the effort, since at that point in time I was even more aware of its short-comings - as far as I was concerned. That conclusion was clearly coloured by my then ownership of a Racal RA-17. (Which I still own).

The one thing I always intended to do to this Trio / Lafayette receiver was to modify the design so that the BFO and the Q-multiplier were distinctly separate stages - which would involve another valve. I never got round to that - and I now know I never will; something I don't regret. But that idea might inspire others: Jerry here, perhaps.

All said: I hope you have fun with your radio, Jerry. I'm glad I could help.
TTFN,

Al.