View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2019, 5:25 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Monochrome-TV-bride song!

Yes it can be pretty dire and predictable Graham [despite a higher acreage of "comedians" than ever before] "Stand-Up" or otherwise but a great deal of success comes out of the experimental platform that the Beeb creates. As with popular music there are highs and lows in output-these things are cyclical! I thought the song was "spot on" in many ways and I'd go to see the performer on that basis. I was a bit confused by Mark's sentence at first though and wondered when the female impersonator aspect would emerge Changing the line to "a funny song about a woman married to a man who insists on watching B+W TV" etc brings it more into focus for me but it's probably just my brain!

Alexis Sayle can be variable but he did a rant recently about the earlier generation of managers at the BBC who he claimed were all ex-Bomber Command and took chances. If a series was a success they commissioned another, If it wasn't...they commissioned another. In his most sarcastic voice he said "now THEY wouldn't have been upset by some idiot's comment on Twitter." As with most humour it was a sentiment founded in some truth. Black Adder is the best example of this I can bring to mind. The First Series wasn't really that good but someone had the confidence to keep going!

Dave W