View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2019, 5:19 pm   #37
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default Re: [Restoration AND Light Modification] Murphy 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWay View Post
9. Nanozeugma, yes I am certain that my set is a A146C, but thank you for your advice. There is just one small stain on the speaker cloth, do you think it would be safe to hand wash? Yes the string is definitely snapped, I am not looking forward to replacing it. Replacing the wires has just become my top priority, is there any specific wiring you recommend? I may yet replace the mains cable as it is VERY short, it doesn't even reach the ground if I feed it out of the circular hole (not the GRAM one) on the back of the cover.
Hi.
Responding to your points in turn:
I have been told that some have successfully hand washed stained speaker cloth if done with care, but have not done so personally.
You would have to bear in mind that in order to do so, you would first need to remove the loudspeaker, then the baffle board to which the cloth is glued, then tease the cloth off. Be aware that it will be fragile, being 70-ish years old; also that washing will not address fading.

In respect of the tuning cord, you may take comfort from the fact that the 146 uses a comparatively simple cord run. It really isn't as difficult as it first appears; page 5 of the manual explains all - 0.8 or 1mm cord is ideal

In regard to suitable cable to replace the life expired rubber stuff, the best I can do is direct you to two sources that I have personally used.
PVC covered: (does many other colours)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300965134...&sojTags=bu=bu

Silicone covered:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flexible-...72.m2749.l2649

For the mains cable, flat or circular profile mains rated PVC covered twin is readily available in numerous outlets.
you don't need anything fancy, 5A is fine, the radio draws less than an amp at full throttle.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Colin

Last edited by Nanozeugma; 13th Feb 2019 at 5:24 pm. Reason: Typo corrected.