Thread: "Butt" 'phone
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2019, 11:50 am   #26
QQVO6/40
Hexode

Default Re: "Butt" 'phone

Hello all.
Nice pics dagskarlsen.
It seems that many countries around the world manufactured their own butt phones.
I know that the PMG in Australia designed and made their own butts. I do not have examples of two other butts designed and made in Australia. Both are electronic. The Digicall and the Ruggebutt. I did not feel that these did the job that I wanted to do so I did not pursue either of them. Both of these phones were electronic and did not have internal batteries so needed a minimum of 5 Volts of line supply after the line was looped. The older dial phones would drop the line voltage to below 5 volts when off hook/looped. This means that these two electronic phones can not reliably work in parallel with the older dial phones. Sorry if I use terms not familiar to some people. To "loop" a line means to put it off hook. To "release" a line means to put it back on hook.
Refugee.
I do not know of a butt that will do ring back. However there are a few bag sets/test phones that have a function where they will generate their own ring voltage and could be used to ring the subscriber's phone.
I hope this has helped a bit.
Cheers, Robert.