View Single Post
Old 29th May 2020, 2:50 pm   #15
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Interesting things on old tape reels

I have a large number of old reel to reel tapes (60's/70s mainly) a combination of tapes I have brought and tapes that came with machines, many of which I have not had time to listen to fully, some not at all.

Love listening to old tapes, you never know what is on them, sometimes old music one has not heard for more than 50 years or music one has never heard before. Foreign music can be interesting. Quite a lot of language recordings, English people leaning various languages and foreign people mainly learning English.

One of the little 3" Grundig Cub tapes that came with my Grundig Cub has a lady teaching her young children to read, these children will now have their own children and quite possibly Grandchildren by now.

Last year I brought a Grundig TK 141 which came with 6 or 7 old tapes, the seller said that he thought there might be some old family recordings on some of the tapes. I played through all of the tapes and found various bits of family recordings which I digitised and emailed to the seller.

He was overjoyed saying he and his family had not heard some of the recordings for well over 45 years, saying that the recordings were him and his sister when very young and their late father. He said he, his sister and his mother shed tears of happiness listening to his late fathers voice, which was very poignant in nice way to hear.