View Single Post
Old 25th May 2020, 10:49 pm   #13
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Repairing tape counters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
I am not really familiar with piano wire, I know one can get it in different diameters, what sort of diameter did you use, is it easy to cut ? does it naturally straighten ?
I can't remember the exact diameter, I think in this case as small as possible without it being too springy to do its job properly. Something like 0.1 or 0.2 mm I guess.

It's very hard and springy, so tends to straighten out, unless bent sharply, in which case it stays bent. It needs to be cut with hardened pliers, not the ones one uses to cut copper wire with.

Regarding Ben's question above, I have a small hand held drill originally intended for drilling holes when making PCBs. I think the diameter in this case was around 0.1 mm. It's not hard to drill with, what is hard is keeping the drill straight (as can be seen in the pictures) and in the right place. I should have used some form of mini vice to keep the counter in place while working on it.

Personally I'd be wary of heating the wire and just pushing it in. I think either the force would have to be quite large as the plastic will cool the metal, or if the wire is hot enough the hole will be rather large and/or the hot metal will warp the plastic.