View Single Post
Old 5th May 2020, 1:30 pm   #1
ThirstyBob
Diode

Default Sony TC-270 Fast Forward slows down

Hi all. First time post for me.
Got the TC-270 down from the attic after 26 years. Powered on ok but didn't initially play. After a good clean out of the gungy old grease and a re-grease, the mechanics began to then, bit by bit, work. Lubricated the reel shafts and all pulleys, cleaned the various rubber wheels and associated reel contact surfaces, replaced main motor belt and counter belt and roughened up the brake material surfaces. Did all the mechanical adjustments as per the service manual. Everything then seemed to work ok. EXCEPT, on Fast forward the take up reel slows down to a stop when almost full (inch or so left on the 7inch supply reel). Rewind works fine and "flys off" as expected when emptied. I have stripped both reels and "brushed" the clutch material but this has made little to no difference. I think the take up reel clutch is slipping when under load (take up pulley continues to drive). What can I use to replace this thin clutch material. Or am I barking up the wrong tree. Any ideas would be appreciated