Old 11th Oct 2019, 7:26 am   #3
SpyroGyro92
Triode

Default Re: Philips VR2022 issues

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickash View Post
The play button itself could be worn and making intermittent contact. This used to happen with Grundig's version of the V2000.
I should have stated that my order from eBay for the IR Remote add-ons for this unit, arrived the other day. All functions via the remote control work perfectly except for 'play'. As previously, sometimes it does work, most times it does not. So I think we can rule out the possibility of a faulty button.

Quote:
The tapes could be faulty or worn causing intermittent loss of picture.
The thing with the intermittent loss of visuals is that when I go back to the exact section of the tape where the image appeared to not be displayed, it then plays that portion just fine. So I don't believe it is to with the tapes themselves. Almost a case of where the VCR, I guess, "chooses" a random spot where the image will just go blank.

Quote:
If the machine is switching itself off altogether there could be a power supply fault or even a loose connection in the mains lead or plug.
When I say the unit turns "off" I meant to the point where it's "off" but still in standby mode, if you will. In other words, the timer display still shows up as normal but the right side of the display panel where the actual tape operation takes place, is switched off. So I don't think it's a loose connection of that figure 8 power cord. The cord itself that I'm using is confirmed to be in good shape.

But an internal power supply fault seems to make the most sense here. I'll see if I can take it over to an old local TV/VCR repair shop that's still in business in my area. Maybe they can help out with that.

Quote:
The Rifa cap blowing won't produce symptoms like this.
Good to know.

So if it has blown, should I look into having it removed or replaced?
Is it critical to the operation of the VCR?

Quote:
Don't be tempted to use the cleaning tape as they are quite abrasive and overuse will wear out/damage the video heads.
Yeah quite right. It feels almost like sandpaper. I will not risk it.