View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2019, 8:37 am   #41
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: First device you had which used LCDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
My first LCD item was probably a little stainless watch with an alarm to the tune of 'The Yellow Rose of Texas'. Possibly Ingersoll (Around 1982/83)

The one thing i avoid using on the FX82A calculator is the on-off slider switch. It always struck me as the first thing that would fail (my ma and pa didn't follow this credo and theirs is now intermittent)

If you just rely on the auto-power off facility they last for 30 years (and counting..)

The battery cover has a weak point which cracks and had to be superglued on both calculators.
I remember a squeaky 'yellow rose of Texas' but it wasn't me - one of my friends in primary school, I think.

Why didn't you tell me about that Casio switch 35 years ago? Mine still works but only when held with a heavy left thumb on top of the offending article. And yes, the battery case on mine is well covered in superglue and insulting tape residues from years and years of hamfisted youthful repairs. But still useful, and I still think 'that way around' when putting in equation into a calculator - using my kids' modern one is a pain.