View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2017, 8:14 pm   #26
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Best oil-proof sealant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 555 View Post
Does not set and a joint can be separated years later and its still sealing and sticky.

Ah, I wish I'd read that properly earlier! I've just done the first trial joint with it. But from what you're saying, it will only do one of the jobs it needs to - it needs not only to seal the two surfaces watertight (oiltight) but to also hold two pieces of lexan together permanently. From what you're saying, it won't cure in a way that will give structural rigidity to the two pieces?

It sure is messy old stuff! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to strip it off and try another product if it fails to keep the pieces together enough. I'll see what happens overnight - I've just put it outside so it can release all those VOC's in the fresh air!

Not blaming your suggestion at all, Geoff, just cursing myself a bit for not reading your post properly the first time!

I'll report back tomorrow.

Afterthought: it's not a tidy solution, but if the product forms an effective seal but doesn't bind the pieces together tightly, I suppose at a pinch I could always just tape around them.

I mean, using teflon/PTFE plumbing tape. I wouldn't be asking the tape to be watertight, just to keep things from sliding around. I cringe when I think of this 'botch,' though!

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 15th Nov 2017 at 8:23 pm.