View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2017, 12:38 am   #24
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: 405 colour on my Pye CTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
Hi David,
Well that is interesting!! As far as I was aware, The BBC was considering the use of NTSC in the early '60's, but I didn't know that anyone in the UK was doing anything as far back as '56.
Is this a UK production set or a prototype? In the event, it would have been totally obsolete by the time colour actually started in (I believe) 1967!
It would be great to have some more details/ pictures etc. of the set or a link to an old thread if you've already done that. Circuit details would also be very interesting.
Good Heavens, colour in 1956: whatever next!!
All the best
Nick
The BBC actually did a colour link from the E2 Coronation to the Great Ormond Street children's hospital.

An ITV series 'Adventures of Sir Lancelot' in the 50s had some of the episodes made in colour and these vary in their presentation (although these may been corrected these days for the DVD) as because in both here and the US they were using the show to experiment with different film makes and grades that they could use on a CTV system.. they discovered that Technicolor was a big NO NO as the contrast ratio was just too vast for early equipment to cope with...consequently any film you saw on TV in those days that said it was 'Technicolor' was actually a TV spec Eastman mono/colour print.