View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2017, 2:25 pm   #47
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Thought this might amuse you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Reminds me of the botch I found some years ago:

An old 1950s house with only two single unswitched 13A outlets in the living room.

13A plug fitted to one socket, a length of the old flat 'figure-of-8' single-insulated flex ran from this.

Under the carpet, and across the room to the bay-window where the TV and VCR sat, where the figure-of-8 flex ran into one of the circular brown bakelite junction-boxes normally used for connecting up T&E then a length of 3-core cable ran from this to a 4-way 13A trailing-outlet strip, the end of the outlet-strip's earth-wire not being connected to anything.

"Been like that for years" explained the owner when challenged. He was not amused when I refused to touch his TV.
I had a similar one, back in the early 60's.

Customer complained he couldn't turn the TV off. I took a v/c with a DP switch with me, thinking 'This will be a quick one'. Arriving on site couldn't find where the 3-pin (round) mains socket was. Tried tracing the mains lead back from the TV, & found it went behind a tall dresser.
With help from the customer we pulled it away from the wall, to reveal a taped (good old black cloth tape) joint, straight on to a piece of 7/.029 cable hanging out of the wall.

'Don't know how that got there' was the reply from the customer!

David.