View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2017, 10:33 am   #38
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: My first antique TV-Olympic Model 755-need help.

I hope someone is still reading this. I've really run into a strange problem now.

Earlier, I managed to get a fuzzy picture on the tv. The weird thing was that the sound was coming in more clear if I had the tuner on channel 4, but I would only get a discernible image if I had it on channel 3. Still, I was happy to get ANY kind of visible image and I figured the tuning was just off because of bad capacitors.

So I continued to work on replacing caps. I was very careful to leave some of the leads when I cut out old capacitors, so that it was easy to see where they connected and I could connect the new capacitor at the same connection points. I was also careful to make sure I had the right voltage\capacitance values. But now I've had a big setback. It looks like I've lost the video signal, or at least it's really distorted. Somehow, the sound is interfering with the image. The screen flickers coinciding with the sound. I think the sound and image are both coming in on the same channel now, but the image is barely visible and there is a lot of interference.

What in the world could be causing this? It's like somehow the sound is feeding into the image. I think the last capacitor I replaced before I started having this problem is C13, but I don't see what I could have done wrong. There is a small metal separator on the chassis in that area, which I guess could be meant as some kind of shield. But I tried moving the wires connecting C13 around behind that metal part and it didn't have any effect.

This is so frustrating! Just when I was making progress, I really hit a brick wall!

-Chris