View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2017, 4:58 am   #31
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: My first antique TV-Olympic Model 755-need help.

I've made some incremental improvements, but I'm stumped again.

The remaining electrolytic capacitors were cheaper than I thought they'd be, so I went ahead and bought new ones. I'm pretty sure I've replaced ALL the electrolytic capacitors on the tv now.

I can see improvement with the screen controls, especially the brightness. It's much smoother now and the entire screen responds well and goes bright or dim as I turn the knob. But I'm still NOT getting an actual image. I hooked up a vcr to the tv. I set the tuner on the tv to channel 4, and I'm getting sound from the tape. (The humming is gone completely now). But the sound is kind of muffled, and I'm not getting any video from the vcr. I'm just getting black and white lines that are kind of flickering.

I have no idea what's going on now.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this, why I'm not getting video? Could one of the tubes be bad? Or could a bad capacitor cause a big problem like this? I could replace the wax capacitors as was suggested earlier...but there's a LOT of them! When I've fixed antique radios before, I usually didn't bother to change the wax capacitors and the radios would still work fine. I only changed electrolytic capacitors. But could "waxies" cause big problems in a tv?

I also noticed that if I move a knob labeled "picture", the screen kind of flickers. I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. I found it in the schematic, and it looks like it's just a variable resistor.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of what the screen looks like. If anyone has some ideas of what should be my next step, please let me know! I've made progress, but I'm really stuck now! I appreciate everyone's help with this so far.

- Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv8.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	150476   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv9.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	150477