View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2017, 11:47 am   #24
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: My first antique TV-Olympic Model 755-need help.

Thank you everyone for your replies and all your help so far! I love coming to this site. You guys are always so friendly and helpful!

I found out I made a BIG mistake! What I originally thought was the audio transformer is actually the "vertical output transformer." And what I thought was C16 is actually a completely different capacitor (C47)! So it turns out, I never did anything with C16 and it's still hooked up. I double checked the other capacitors I did replace - C50, C51, and C15 and I did connect them right and they seem to be fine. I did a quick test and powered the tv up for a little while. The screen is lit up again now, and no weird smells or boiling capacitors this time!

But now I'm confused again. I can see where the positive side of C47 is supposed to connect to the red wire of the vertical output transformer (page 109 on the schematic). But I don't understand where the negative side of the capacitor is supposed to connect. When I disconnected the wires on the capacitor "can" earlier, C47 was connected to one of the terminals. The can didn't have any labels, so that's why I had such a hard time figuring out the connections. Now I can't understand how the NEGATIVE side of C47 could connect to any of the terminals on that capacitor can, since they all would have been positive. (The can case is the common negative). But somehow it was!

On the schematic, the negative side of C47 goes back from page 109 to 108 and is shown to connect to the focus coil. But it's also shown to connect to line 4 (upper left corner of page 108). Line 4 goes back to page 107, and is a POSITIVE line. So how can the negative side of C47 connect to that?

Am I reading the schematic right? I bought a new capacitor for C16, and I don't want to hook it up wrong again and blow up another one!

(By the way, that was actually my first time ever burning up a capacitor! First time for everything, I guess!)

Here's the link to the schematic again, if anyone needs it:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...an-1952-TV.pdf

Thanks again for everyone taking the time to help me with this. I really appreciate it.

- Chris