View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2014, 11:15 am   #113
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: 405-Line VHF Aerials in 2013

RE post no. 111,

A nice centre-of-mass balanced pair, so minimising those constant torques that are just itching to bring the pair down...

The X looks to be an Antiference Antex, which if it was decently connected up is probably still useable. The 8 el Band III could be nearly anything (but not B & L, or later 'trumatch' Antiference). If the 8 el's boom is 3/4 inch diameter then a possibility for the location is a Premier Aerials (Cheltenham) design, in which case almost certainly corrosion will had the contacts in the junction box... BTW if so then it's a so-so design; yet in contrast Premier 3 el Band I designs - which have 'Telerection' style 1/10 and 1/4 element spacings but use a folded dipole in contrast to the characteristic Telerection tapped plain dipole - were good; possibly out-pacing the legendary Antiference 'Trumatch' Band I designs.

I agree with the likely TXs; Litchfield on B8 and Sutton Coldfield on B4. Interestingly Ridge ITA on B6 would have been a strong signal when it started as a relay, yet no Band III aerial for it. The signal on B6 on the 8 el at an off bearing of 90 degrees would probably have had more ghosts than the local graveyard! Perhaps no B6 biscuits in the TV tuner, as B6 only became available late on, when Cambridge Radio-Astronomy stopped using 178 Mc/s ??
SteveCG is offline   Reply With Quote