View Single Post
Old 19th May 2007, 7:42 pm   #1
Panrock
Nonode

Default Television reception in the car

Of course, a television picture viewable from the driving seat of a moving car is illegal, and rightly so.

Many years ago I used to have a Sony 9-90UB in the back of my car. When the car was in motion, I found I could get steady reception on 405-lines with a long whip aerial, but not surprisingly the AM signals were spoiled by ignition interference (except when very strong).

The situation on UHF was different. Here there was little interference, but the picture would flutter very badly.

I understand television has long been an option for use in the back of limousines and the like. Am I right in imagining that, using diversity reception, the flutter on analogue UHF can effectively be eliminated?

What about Freeview digital? How does this perform in comparison with analogue when on the move? Has anyone had experience with these installations?

By the way, I'm not talking about watching DVDs or viewing in a stationary car here. I'm interested in what is to be expected from real-time television reception in a moving car.

Thanks,

Steve