View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2018, 9:49 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Marantz SR4200 soak testing (!)

Back in the early seventies when I joined HP I had a 'Microwave Division preferred parts manual' parked on my bookshelf. It contained spec sheets for all the HP numbered parts I'd likely need.

Every one had the line "Shall survive a dishwasher cycle with Calgonite detergent"

Our family had never had a dishwasher. I'd never heard of "Calgonite" I did wonder if it was something that Superman ought to be wary of.

But no, it meant that parts were expected to be proof against a how wash and rinse cycle after acid flux foam and wave soldering. And yes, the wash used commercial dishwasher detergent.

Electrolytics had to be well sealed, the detergent was tough on aluminium, tough on the causes of aluminium! Pots came with a tear-off plastic seal over the screwdriver turned bit.

I now treat the dishwasher as a service aid, but might add a bit of latex solder mask to bits that need a temporary seal.

I'd have been really impressed by that amp if its display had diagnosed the contaminant.... "Tea, Earl Grey, Hot" or something like that.

David