View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2018, 2:19 am   #34
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: My first frame aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut View Post
Could one of these loops be mounted away from the radio, say on the roof of my shed/summer house and a feed led in to the radio a few yards away?
Yes, the tuning capacitor though has to stay with the antenna. But the impedance across the whole loop is too high to successfully pipe it anywhere without capacitive effects upsetting the tuning

If you tap into just one turn at the earthy end (coax braid connected to it and the V/C frame) the impedance and loading effects are low and you can lower it further with a matching transformer (as I do for my transmitting loops) then you can pipe the signal down standard 50 or 75R coaxial cable and transform it up at the other end to suit the radio.

One other trick that could work, if the match wasn't critical just for receiving, since a single turn of the loop has an impedance around a few hundred ohms or more, you could simply use vintage TV 300 ohm ribbon cable (if you could get it) connected to a turn of the loop, feed that to the radio with a 1:6 ratio step up broadband transformer at the radio end terminated with about a 10k resistor at the radio end (or similar) would work. You could probably get away with 5 or 10 meters of this cable as the losses are fairly low.